A former parish priest of the Catholic Church in Ringwood used to give directions: “Just look out for the sewage works”. The church was of some architectural interest as a functionalist interpretation of a traditional church form, with no extraneous ornament. The severely stripped, elemental design perhaps showed the influence of F.X. Velarde’s contemporary church of St Monica at Bootle (1936), but also bore comparison with functional industrial designs of the pre-war years.
Recently the church of the Sacred Heart and St Theresa of Lisieux was given a makeover. The Architect, Philip Proctor, tried to give a hint of Italy in the transformed building.